Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Not quite as promised

I opened up my freezer the other night to choose a side dish to go with the steak I was about to grill. Right there in front of me was a box of Kroger brand "Rice and Broccoli (with low fat cheese sauce)." Seemed like a decent choice, and it would be pretty easy to prepare.

Look at this tasty looking product, filled to the brim with pretty green broccoli heads and rice, covered in cheesy goodness:




And now look at the sad reality of what as in the package, after cooking:




I went to the Kroger website this morning and filled out a "customer contact form" telling them what a ripoff this product was. I've gotten the "automated acknowledgement" but no actual reply yet.

As an interesting sidenote, the automated email I received had my own email address as the sender. They also had a bit in the body of the email saying
You have received this email notification as a result of submitting a
Customer Comment to Kroger. If you did not submit a Customer Comment, please
contact a Customer Service Representative at 866-221-4141 and report the
following sender's IP Address: 6x.xx.xxx.xxx [my IP obscured]
So they're concerned about security (although sending rogue email comments to Kroger seems pretty low on the list of risky activities), but they have no problem with spoofing an email "from" address? Weird.

So anyway, my personal recommendation is to avoid the Kroger brand frozen vegetables. They're not what they appear to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you just got a bad box of it. I'm eating one right now full of smaller cuts of broccoli. Not big chunks, but you can taste them.