Friday, July 20, 2007

Hilton - That's Not Hot

OK, I admit I'm still a bit rattled by the fraud thing (and I'm going to post about the responses of the various companies in a day or two). So when I got a phone call yesterday afternoon that ended up in dead air, it bothered me. The caller ID showed "Hilton, 407-xxx-xxxx". That's an Orlando area code, but beyond that I couldn't tell much. The phone rang again last night, showing the same CID display. This time after I said "hello," there was the familiar pause of an ACD connecting me to an agent, who then exclaimed "Hi, Larry!" as if I was supposed to know her. Ugh. You're not my friend, honey, you're a cold-calling time-share-selling phone rep.

I once again said "hello" in the deadest tone I could muster. She started in on her sales pitch, indicating that since I was a valued member of the Hilton Honors program, blah blah blah. When she paused I said "I am not interested at all, place me on your DO NOT CALL list."

Today, I've logged onto the Hilton webpage and find that there is no place where I can opt out of phone calls. I can opt out of email, no problem. And there is no way to not have a phone number on the profile. I tried to change it to one of my favorites, (888)555-1212, which might or might not get you to toll-free directory assistance (I don't really care). They wouldn't take that, so I poked around the site a bit and found one of their fax numbers. So on the off chance that they decide to call me again, they won't get very far.

I realize that it's my choice whether to belong to this (or any) customer loyalty program. I don't think that means I have to be subject to unwanted sales calls, especially when I'm already listed on the national DO NOT CALL registry. Yes, there is a loophole in the registry allowing calls from companies with whom I have an "existing relationship." I think it's a stretch to go from hotel customer to potential time-share sucker buyer, but I'm sure they don't.

Well, I've emailed them and rather tersely said "don't do that, ever again." I'll post the response if it's of any interest.

No comments: