Thursday, December 5, 2013

Blow Me

I had to buy a new leaf blower last week.  Unfortunately, since my budget is constrained these days, I had to go with cheap, not necessarily frugal, and bought an electric Black and Decker unit.  Having had bad luck with these in the past, I am determined to make sure that, if it does not last through the full two year warranty period, I have everything lined up so that I can get it fixed or replaced.  To that end, I decided I would "register" the warranty.  I know that doing so is generally not required, but I want to make sure that there is absolutely no question if (or more likely when) the need for service arises.

A quick glance at the registration card revealed far more questions than seemed necessary, so I thought I'd take the "easy" way and register online.  Off to BlackandDecker.com I went, only to immediately be met with a demand to "set up an account".  Then I could get email newsletters every week!  I don't want a fucking account or your SPAM, I want to make sure I can get warranty service on this cheap Chinese-made POS when necessary.

Back to the hand-written registration card.  Immediately after my name and address (reasonable information to provide, I think), they want my date of birth.  Then marital status.  Further along, they want the gender and age of everybody in the household, including children (!).  Occupation.  Income.  Own or Rent?  What type of internet access?  Etc.

What the hell, Black and Decker?

No, you can't have all that personal information, you can't have my email address, and no, I don't want you to share my information so that I can "receive important mailings and special offers from a number of companies whose products and services relate directly to the specific interests, hobbies and other information indicated."

And I just love this line "Please check here if, for some reason, you would prefer not to participate in this opportunity."  (emphasis added).  Oh my yes, for some reason, maybe I don't want you to sell my personal information to the highest bidder.  What ever could I be thinking, turning down such an opportunity?

Here's a crazy idea.  Build a product that's sturdy and will last for a decade or more.  Even better, build it in the United States.

No comments: